The Friends of Lory and Lory State Park have several major projects underway. For many of these projects, we rely on grant funding and donations to provide the capital. Majority of the actual work is done by dedicated volunteers. We are grateful for these volunteers and the funding opportunities we’ve been fortunate to receive. We always need volunteers, and if interested, email us at email@example.com.
Our projects include:
- The Corral Center Mountain Bike Park at Lory State Park: We will be upgrading the mountain bike park to make a more sustainable and all-ages-friendly skills park. In 2014, we received a community grant from REI ($3000) to launch the project, which will include redesign, building, long-term maintenance plan development, and final implementation. Project to continue in 2015-2016. Read our March 2015 update.
- Larimer County Open Lands Small Grant for Community Partnering: In 2014, we -received a grant ($2000) to sustainably manage invasive plants within the Park. The project will continue in 2015 with the Park Technician and the Environmental Educator/Naturalist on staff, and through the work of volunteers (Lory Yanks group who manually eradicate weeds).
- Equestrian Course Rebuild: In 2013, we received a grant from the Foundation for Colorado State Parks ($8000) to provide for the design/build of the equestrian jump course. The jump course was destroyed in the March 2013 Galena Fire and needed to be rebuilt as part of the fire recovery. Work has been underway since the summer of 2013 and will continue through 2015. With thanks for the grant funding and for several private donations, committed volunteers and Park staff have provided the labor for the construction.
- Environmental Education Scholarship Project: In 2014, we launched a new scholarship program to provide funds for school groups to visit Lory State Park and experience nature education with the Park’s Naturalist on staff. We are still seeking funding for the project and are also in need of volunteers to serve on the Scholarship Committee. We plan to begin awarding scholarship to school groups in 2015 and beyond.
Completed projects include:
- Bridge Rebuilding, Fire Recovery: The 2013 Galena Fire destroyed almost all of the trail bridges at the Park. Recovery work from the fire started with the bridges and the Park had hundreds of volunteers who came together and donors generously gave thousands of dollars to rebuild. The bridge rebuilding project has been completed, with thanks to all who supported the work. For an update, watch this short news clip: After fire, volunteers help rebuild Lory State Park, KUSA 9News story about volunteers rebuilding trails June 7-8, 2014. Learn more about this project on our News page.